Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May 1, 2013 - Out of Retirement




Spring Training Practice #1

      It's been 35 years since I last hit a softball and ran the bases or even caught a fly ball.   But today I oiled up the circa 1970 Bernie Carbo mitt that I have faithfully saved for just this occasion and took the field at Almendinger Park

            What possesses a man to stage a comeback after all these years?  Too much money ball?  Viewing the Natural too many times?  An obsession with OOTP (Out of the Park) Fantasy Baseball?  Or just maybe it's part of my DNA and this just can't be avoided.  Whatever here are the consolidated notes:

  • Caught my first fly ball
  • Connected on my first swing;  had a few line drives and, yes, I whiffed on a few.  This took place when I tried to go opposite field.  Hey, it's just practice!
  • Took equal swings from the right and left side.  I'm mediocre either way.  
  • Tossed a little batting practice.  As Tommy Lasorda once said, "Guys have heart attacks from shoveling snow, right?  You ever hear of a guy having a heart attack throwing batting practice?"

So, officially, I'm calling it a success.  I wasn't injured (any worse than before I started) and I wasn't cut from the team.  For the record here are a few observations:

  • The ball seems heavier than it used to (don't laugh here)
  • Watching the ball into your glove is different when you are wearing glasses.  You hope it ends up there.
  • The bat stings a bit when you connect.  Whose idea was it to have metal bats, anyway?
  • I instantly connected with myself being on a ball field, again. 
  • It is, after all, my request to have my ashes dispersed on the field that I played on when I was in little league. 
  • I still love my mitt.

As George Kell used to say, That's it for now, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment