Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May, 8th - Practice #2

6:30 PM

  • Mitt/check
  • Cap/check
  • Gum/check
  • Knee Brace/check (new this week)


7:00 PM

  • Took the field at 1B
  • Missed a grounder; 2 throws in the dirt skipped by me (I had the scoop motion but not the ball)
  • Dropped a toss over to first.  Don't worry it's not my normal position
  • Had a few pop ups just into the outfield.  The Good News is I followed the track of the ball well; The Bad News is a few injuries make me hold back from doing what I want to do.  Run, stretch, catch
  • Slide to the OF.  A pop fly I catch; Drop one; A few I can't really stretch for...damn, damn groin injury.  I should just wear a sign...it's my groin injury, really. But, hey, most of those other guys are doing close to the same thing.  See.   
  • Liner into center....I roam a bit...Need to go for it.  Smack.  In my glove.  Nice.
  • Two towering, mammoth flies to the OF.  I split the pair...drop one, catch one.  
  • Oddly, it's starting to feel a little more natural.  35 years since I've been out here, am I crazy?  Purge the thought.  You're out here.  
  • Batting Practice....I'll start out batting RIGHT.  First two swings are hard grounders down the 3rd base line.  Decent.  Don't strain the groin....OK, I'm being careful.
  • Hey...couple of liners into the OF.  Not bad.  I can do this.  Attitude is starting to surface.  Bet I can go the other way, too.  Wake up second base. 
  • The other way...sure a nice liner into right center; Sweet.  A pop up to 1B....hey, I'm going the other way!
  • That was so good a few from the Left Side....a pop up and a hard liner.  .500...I'll take it!
  • OK, no whiffs; No stinging like last week;  My bat is coming around.  
  • Back to the OF.  Shag a few flies; make a few catches; Drop one.  Geez, what if I dropped one like this during a game at a crucial point?  Purge the thought, dude.  
  • Hmmm...I can tell where the ball is going before the guy swings.  Instinct.  Now, if I can only lose the injuries so I can get that jump.  Easy guy...stay within yourself.    
  • It's nice to be out here in CF.  70 F, I'm wearing a Tiger shirt with the Old English D, and I'm flashing leather circa 1975 Bernie Carbo, a mitt that I love more and more each time I put it on.  Sometimes I just pound it with a clenched fist.  I like the sound.  I'm so lucky.  
  • OK, second week over.  Survived.  Hit better.  Actually, got a better feel for fly balls which I'm good at judging.  The adjustment is getting your body to respond in a natural way.  It will come.
8:25 PM
  • On the scooter (Buddy 150).  "Hey Guys...I'm building a Whiffle Ball Field.  Let me know...."  

No comments:

Post a Comment